Searching for the best thrift stores in Connecticut? Look no further! From upscale consignment boutiques to well-organized shops offering a treasure trove of clothing, accessories, and household items, the thrift stores in the Constitution State have something for everyone.
Best Thrift Stores in Connecticut
Whether you’re a thrifting enthusiast or just looking for some unique finds, Connecticut’s thrift shops offer a diverse array of items, all waiting to be discovered. Join us on a thrift store adventure as we explore the top spots for secondhand shopping in Connecticut.
1. Hand to Hand Thrift Store
When it comes to the finest thrift stores in Connecticut, Hand to Hand Thrift Store extends a helping hand to those in search of upscale clothing, jewelry, and housewares.
While it’s easy to stumble upon a Goodwill in CT, paying a visit to Lending a Hand will exceed your expectations with their meticulously organized and categorized bargains, including an unbeatable dollar rack.
What makes this thrift store even more special is that its proceeds support Hand to Hand Direct Care Ministry, a faith-based nonprofit dedicated to providing clothes, furniture, household items, and essentials to those in need.
2. Fashionista Vintage & Variety
For fashion-forward individuals of all genders, one of the top clothing thrift stores in CT can be found right in New Haven.
Fashionista Vintage & Variety, as the name suggests, is a treasure trove of “thrift couture” clothing and accessories.
From vintage gems to modern eccentricities and unique one-of-a-kind finds, you’re bound to leave with something unexpected and extraordinary.
Forget about ordinary jeans, plain t-shirts, sneakers, or work attire; Fashionista Vintage & Variety prioritizes consigners who offer vintage clothing dating as far back as the 1930s, focusing on sizing that suits everyday men and women.
This thrift store opens its doors on Fridays and Saturdays and occasionally hosts exciting sidewalk sales.
Location: New Haven
3. The Clothes Tree
The Clothes Tree is a budget-friendly thrift store in Connecticut boasting an extensive collection of clothing, books, housewares, and toys thoughtfully arranged across five rooms.
They also offer consignment options for those interested.
What sets this nonprofit thrift store apart is its commitment to using all proceeds to support Civic Family Services, an organization dedicated to assisting families and children in need.
4. Yours Closet or Mine
The award for one of the most creatively named CT thrift shops goes to Yours Closet or Mine.
It’s no wonder this store is often hailed as one of the best thrift shops in Connecticut, especially if you have an affinity for fringe fashion.
If you’re an avid treasure hunter, rejoice! Their 3,000-square-foot space is brimming with clothing for the entire family, accessories, toys, jewelry, housewares, books, and even pet supplies.
Their diverse collection extends to vinyl records, vintage band memorabilia, saddles, and horse tack.
5. Karma’s Wardrobe
For six consecutive years, the Newington Chamber of Commerce has named Karma’s Wardrobe the “Best Clothing Store” in Connecticut.
Karma’s Wardrobe stands out as a consignment boutique with a unique twist.
Beyond the clothing, shoes, and accessories (for men, women, and kids) or the home decor and furniture, this thrift store offers craft fairs for local artisans in its parking lot and features locally handmade goods.
Karma’s Wardrobe is also known for hosting pop-up events like free yoga classes, ensuring you can find your zen after a fruitful thrifting spree.
6. Max and Lily’s Closet
If you’re on the hunt for the best thrift stores in CT for children’s clothing, head over to Max & Lily’s Closet.
This cozy space is brimming with consigned clothing for children and expectant mothers, as well as accessories, toys, essential baby items like strollers, and some furniture.
While many items are in excellent used—or even new—condition, Max & Lily’s Wardrobe keeps prices refreshingly affordable.
7. Hole in the Wall
As Guilford’s oldest and only nonprofit thrift and consignment shop, Hole in the Wall earns its place among the finest clothing thrift stores in CT.
This clean and well-organized shop offers quality clothing for men and women, along with jewelry, shoes, housewares, books, and seasonal items.
Clever displays featuring rotating outfit pairings offer a dash of outfit inspiration, all while maintaining bargain-tier prices.
Every penny of the proceeds from Hole in the Wall goes to support the Guilford A Better Chance program, which extends opportunities to academically talented women of color, allowing them to attend Guilford High School and bridge the educational divide.
8. Safe Haven Sheltered Haven
When it comes to thrift stores in Southbury, CT, Safe Haven Thrift Shop consistently stands out as a top choice.
You’ll discover a wide array of women’s clothing, shoes, and accessories, along with a variety of household items, small appliances, and both vintage and modern furniture.
While you explore, don’t be surprised if you’re greeted by one of the adorable shop dogs that frequently visit the store, often acting as their product models!
All proceeds from Safe Haven Thrift Shop support the programs of Safe Haven of Greater Waterbury, including financial coaching and assistance, court services, counseling, advocacy, emergency crisis intervention, and housing.
9. The Second Chance Store
With thrift stores in West Hartford, Simsbury, Suffield, and Glastonbury, The Second Chance Store is conveniently located for anyone in the state.
These well-kept shops are meticulously organized and offer a wide selection of adult and children’s clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, collectibles, and household items.
All items are carefully vetted for quality and condition, and they are priced affordably.
Operated by a dedicated team of over 500 volunteers, The Second Chance Store directs all proceeds toward supporting The Village.
Over the past five decades, these thrift store proceeds have contributed more than $6 million to fund mental health and wellness programs, school funding and support, foster care and child welfare initiatives, as well as addiction and recovery support, among other causes.
Location: Multiple locations
10. Couture Consignments
If you’re on the hunt for upscale thrift shops in Greenwich, CT, make sure to add Couture Consignments to your shopping itinerary.
As one of the premier luxury thrift stores in Connecticut, Couture Consignments specializes in high-end women’s designer and contemporary clothing, handbags, jewelry, shoes, and accessories.
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised by the affordability of guaranteed authentic items from renowned names like Hermes, Chanel, and Gucci.
Additionally, they offer consignment options for those looking to sell their upscale items.
11. Deer Hill Thrift Store
Sometimes, it’s best to leave them wanting more, and that’s precisely what Deer Hill Thrift Store does.
While they have limited operating hours, only open on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm, Deer Hill Thrift Store remains one of the most beloved thrift shops in Danbury, CT.
Blending the charm of an upscale boutique with remarkably thrifty prices, this shop offers a delightful range of high-quality clothing, eveningwear, shoes, accessories, electronics, books, music, and even unusual items like a real harpoon, as the tales go.
They also provide a unique costume rental service.
The proceeds from Deer Hill Thrift Store support outreach programs offered by the First Congregational Church of Danbury.
Why You Should Shop at Thrift Stores in Connecticut
There are plenty of compelling reasons to consider shopping at thrift stores in Connecticut. Here are some key points to ponder:
- Affordability: Thrift stores are a budget-conscious shopper’s paradise. You can find high-quality clothing, furniture, and other goods at a fraction of their original prices. Whether you’re a student on a tight budget or simply looking to save money, thrift stores offer excellent deals.
- Unique Finds: Thrifting allows you to uncover one-of-a-kind items that you won’t find in traditional retail stores. Whether it’s a vintage dress, a retro vinyl record, or a quirky piece of home decor, thrift stores are treasure troves for the eclectic and the adventurous.
- Sustainability: Thrift shopping is environmentally friendly. When you purchase secondhand items, you’re reducing the demand for new production and helping to minimize waste. It’s a small but meaningful way to contribute to a more sustainable world.
- Supporting Local Charities: Many thrift stores in Connecticut are operated by charitable organizations. When you shop at these stores, your money often goes directly to support important community programs and services. It’s a way to give back while you shop.
- Personal Style: Thrift stores offer a diverse range of clothing and accessories from different eras and styles. Whether you’re into vintage fashion, bohemian chic, or classic looks, thrift stores provide the variety to help you express your unique style.
- Treasure Hunting: Thrift shopping is an adventure. You never know what you might stumble upon, which adds an element of excitement to your shopping experience. It’s like going on a treasure hunt every time you visit a thrift store.
- Reduction of Fast Fashion: By choosing thrifted clothing, you’re making a conscious decision to steer away from fast fashion. Fast fashion contributes to environmental issues and unethical labor practices. Thrifted fashion is a more ethical and sustainable choice.
- Community Engagement: Thrift stores often serve as community hubs. You’ll meet people from all walks of life, and the sense of community can be palpable. Some thrift stores even host events, workshops, or donation drives that allow you to engage with your neighbors.
In conclusion, thrift stores in Connecticut offer much more than just affordable shopping. They provide a unique, sustainable, and community-focused shopping experience that aligns with the values of many modern consumers. Whether you’re seeking budget-friendly deals, eco-friendly options, or a sense of adventure, Connecticut’s thrift stores have something special to offer. So, why not explore them and see what treasures you can discover?
Take a look at more thrifting stuff here