If you are looking to find the best thrift stores in San Francisco California you are in the right place. Here we take a look at the most popular secondhand shops and thrift stores in your area.
Best Thrift Stores in San Francisco California
Welcome to the vibrant world of thrift shopping in San Francisco, California! Nestled amidst the city’s iconic hills and diverse neighborhoods are hidden gems of thrift stores, each with its own unique character and treasures waiting to be discovered. Whether you’re a vintage fashion enthusiast, a sustainability advocate, or simply seeking budget-friendly finds, San Francisco’s thrift stores offer a delightful shopping experience that goes beyond the ordinary. Join us on a journey through the best thrift stores in the city, where eco-friendly fashion, one-of-a-kind items, and a sense of community converge to create a truly remarkable shopping adventure. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, prepare to uncover the magic of thrifting in the City by the Bay.
When it comes to recommendations from satisfied customers, The EcoCloset shines as one of San Francisco’s premier thrift stores. This hidden gem offers a diverse selection of secondhand treasures, spanning from electronics and home goods to accessories and clothing. At The EcoCloset, you can curate your own sustainable wardrobe without breaking the bank, all while staying on-trend and stylish. Explore their offerings and embark on an eco-friendly shopping adventure.
Location: Outer Mission
2. 2nd STREET
Calling all lovers of Japanese fashion – 2nd STREET is your ultimate destination among San Francisco thrift stores. Hailing from Japan, they bring you the finest deals on clothing, bags, shoes, watches, and accessories. You’ll discover unique and fashionable casual and designer wear carefully sourced from Japan. With only a handful of stores in San Francisco and NYC, 2nd STREET offers a rare shopping experience. Plus, their commitment to recycling and sustainability ensures that unsold items find new purpose and opportunities around the globe.
3. Afterlife Collective
Whether you’re looking to rock double denim a la Bon Jovi or embrace your inner grunge, Afterlife Collective has you covered. Operated by two dedicated families, this thrift store in San Francisco boasts an impressive collection of vintage treasures from the ’80s and ’90s. From t-shirts and sunglasses to jackets, bags, jewelry, and more, you’ll transport yourself back to the Glory Days. Dive into the world of nostalgia in the heart of the Mission District.
Location: Mission District
4. Jane Consignment
Jane Consignment offers a diverse selection of women’s fashion, jewelry, and gifts, making it one of San Francisco’s inclusive and unique thrift stores. Their inventory spans various eras, cultures, and styles, catering to sizes from 00 to 3X. Whether you’re seeking designer pieces or mid-tier brands, Jane Consignment has something for every budget. Don’t forget to explore their clearance racks for incredible $5 and $10 finds.
Location: Outer Richmond
5. Held Over
For vintage enthusiasts, Held Over stands out as one of the top destinations among San Francisco’s retro thrift stores. This neatly organized shop offers distinctive and affordable vintage apparel and accessories. From vintage military jackets and sequin dresses of the 1970s to Hawaiian t-shirts and much more, their eclectic selection caters to both men and women. Keep in mind that their inventory is ever-evolving, so seize the opportunity to discover hidden treasures while they last.
ReLove, where “less waste” meets “more style,” has been serving fashionable looks since 2014. This thrift store in San Francisco is not just a place to shop; it’s a community space that inspires creativity. Explore their curated range of designer, vintage, and independent labels while enjoying a warm and welcoming atmosphere. ReLove’s unique vibe makes it one of the top spots for secondhand shopping in San Francisco, conveniently located near Chinatown in Nob Hill.
Location: Nob Hill
7. Community Thrift
For over four decades, Community Thrift has consistently stood out as one of the Bay Area’s top thrift stores. Its striking giant pink facade is not the only thing that stands out; it’s the store’s commitment to its community and the environment that truly sets it apart.
Community Thrift offers a wide array of affordably priced treasures, from kitchenware and furniture to home decor, antiques, clothing for men and women, accessories, and shoes. If you’re a book enthusiast, you might even consider it the best used book store in San Francisco.
This thrift store proudly carries the certification of being a San Francisco Green Business, and your purchases here contribute to supporting over 200 Bay Area charity partners.
Location: Mission District
8. Cris Consignment
Let’s delve into the world of consignment stores. Cris Consignment consistently earns a spot at the top of local lists, and for good reason. This San Francisco thrift store offers a well-maintained selection of boutique pieces and discounted designer clothing, bags, shoes, and accessories.
Fashion aficionados will appreciate the range of high-end brands available, including Hermes, Chanel, and Christian Louboutin.
Location: Polk Gulch
9. Buffalo Exchange
With over 40 locations across the United States, San Francisco is lucky to have not one, but two Buffalo Exchange stores—one of them nestled among the eclectic Haight Street thrift stores. Buffalo Exchange is synonymous with trendy clothing and accessories for both men and women.
Their inventory boasts a mix of designer wear, name-brand favorites, and unique vintage discoveries, ensuring there’s something for everyone. Buffalo Exchange goes the extra mile with its Tokens for Bags program, allowing you to forgo a shopping bag and instead choose a charity to receive a 5¢ donation. To date, they’ve redirected almost $1 million to support numerous social and environmental organizations. Additionally, their annual Earth Day $1 sale contributes roughly $50,000 to The Humane Society every year.
Location: Haight-Ashbury | Dolores Heights
10. Chloe’s Closet
If you’re on the hunt for children’s clothes, shoes, and toys while staying eco-conscious, Chloe’s Closet is a must-visit thrift store in San Francisco. This store is a haven for expecting mothers and parents seeking budget-friendly options for their rapidly growing little ones.
Chloe’s Closet offers significant discounts on essential items such as strollers, bouncers, and even foot-powered trikes. Dress your child in style with brands like Hanna Anderson, Crewcuts, and Zutano, all priced roughly 65-75% cheaper than retail stores. Keep an eye out for new arrivals every day, and soon, they’ll introduce maternity clothing to their offerings.
Location: Bernal Heights | Lincoln Way
11. Out of the Closet’s Thrift Stores San Francisco
Out of the Closet, a nationwide chain, operates two thrift stores in San Francisco. These stores are filled with a diverse selection of clothing, books, houseware, and more. What makes shopping here even more fulfilling is knowing that a remarkable 96¢ from every dollar spent goes toward supporting HIV/AIDS health services.
Through this initiative, the AIDS Healthcare Foundation can provide essential services such as free HIV testing and pharmaceutical delivery. Your purchases directly contribute to these vital programs.
Location: Civic Center | Polk Gulch
12. Sui Generis Thrift Stores San Francisco
Among the consignment stores in San Francisco, Sui Generis takes the spotlight as a destination that will make you feel like the star you truly are. Renowned by Refinery29, GQ, and the New York Times, Sui Generis is the go-to place for carefully curated items from European luxury designers such as Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Gucci. Additionally, they offer rare finds from Japanese fashion houses like Comme des Garcons.
With expert stylists on hand, both men and women can expect personalized shopping experiences. Explore their extensive collection, including clothing, accessories, gowns, shoes, outerwear, and vintage fashion.
Location: Castro / Eureka Valley
13. Crossroads Trading Co.
When you find yourself at a crossroads deciding which San Francisco thrift stores to explore, be sure to include Crossroads Trading Co. on your list. For three decades, Crossroads Trading Co. has been promoting sustainable fashion by making designer clothing more accessible.
Their stores offer gently-used designer and name-brand clothing, shoes, and accessories. Any damaged or unsold clothing is either donated or recycled, further contributing to their commitment to sustainability.
Location: Duboce Triangle | Japantown | Lincoln Way
Why Shop at the Thrift Stores in San Francisco California
Shopping at thrift stores in San Francisco, California, offers a myriad of compelling reasons that go beyond simply finding budget-friendly items. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider thrift store shopping in the vibrant city of San Francisco:
- Sustainability: Thrift shopping is an eco-friendly choice. By purchasing secondhand goods, you help reduce the demand for new production, which in turn decreases the environmental impact associated with manufacturing, packaging, and transportation.
- Unique Finds: Thrift stores are treasure troves of one-of-a-kind items. Whether you’re into vintage fashion, quirky home decor, or rare collectibles, thrift stores in San Francisco offer a diverse array of unique finds.
- Affordability: Thrift stores provide a budget-friendly shopping experience. You can discover high-quality items at a fraction of their original prices, making it an excellent option for those looking to save money.
- Supporting Local Charities: Many thrift stores in San Francisco are affiliated with local charities or community organizations. When you shop at these stores, your purchases often directly contribute to supporting vital community programs and initiatives.
- Reducing Waste: Thrift stores play a crucial role in diverting usable items from landfills. By giving these items a second life, you help reduce waste and promote a more sustainable approach to consumption.
- Vintage and Retro Fashion: San Francisco is known for its rich history and diverse cultural influences. Thrift stores in the city are ideal places to discover vintage and retro clothing that pays homage to different eras and styles.
- Conscious Consumerism: Thrift shopping encourages mindful and intentional buying. Instead of impulse purchases, thrift shoppers tend to carefully select items, leading to a more thoughtful approach to consumption.
- Supporting Local Businesses: Many thrift stores in San Francisco are small, locally-owned businesses. When you shop at these stores, you contribute to the local economy and help sustain unique, independent retailers.
- Social Connection: Thrift stores often serve as community hubs where people from all walks of life come together. You can meet fellow thrift enthusiasts, strike up conversations, and share fashion tips and stories.
- Creative Expression: Thrift shopping allows you to experiment with different styles and create a unique look that reflects your personality. You can mix and match items to craft outfits that stand out from the crowd.
In summary, thrift store shopping in San Francisco offers a sustainable, budget-friendly, and socially conscious way to explore the city’s rich history and diverse culture while discovering hidden gems and supporting local communities. It’s not just shopping; it’s an experience that benefits both you and the environment.
Take a look at more thrifting stuff here